1 – Be indispensable.
- Avoid being known only as a "in the box"
- Identify & solve problems
- Be a go-to resource for your organization
2 – Think about the big picture.
- Don’t just say no
- Look at more than what’s in your job description
- Be open minded
3 – Keep to high standards
- Deliver quality work
- Always strive for excellence
- Be as efficient as possible
4 – Be open to new opportunities.
- Don’t be known as single-faceted
- Take on stretch assignments
- Operate outside of your function
5 – Develop and grow your skills.
- Don’t limit your abilities
- Compliment your strong skills
- Pursue ongoing training and education
6 – Stay ahead of the curve.
- Keep up to speed with what’s happening – internally and externally
- Anticipate change and be open to it
- Be aware of industry shifts
7 – Stay in sync with your boss.
- Help make their job easier
- Seek out feedback and be nimble
- Get as much info as you can
8 – Network.
- Talk to lots of people, internally and externally
- Keep in touch with old colleagues, bosses
- Take advantage of associations
9 – Update your job search tools/skills.
- Revise your resume
- Join social networking sites
- Think about transferrable skills
10 – Look to recruiters.
- Get personalized coaching
- Find the hard to find opportunities
- Have someone constantly looking out for your career