From the gridiron to the golf course, our client is well-known and highly regarded in the world of sports. They manufacture and distribute sneakers and apparel for the professional athlete and the fashion-conscious alike. Demand for their products is always high, especially during peak season. Two of their distribution centers were getting blindsided by this demand, so they asked us what we thought would help.
The Strategic Analysis
After reviewing their entire staffing program, we determined our master vendor program (MVP) was the best play. They needed us to complete an implementation and transition for two facilities, all in the midst of their peak season. Since each facility was under different coaching and over half the workforce would receive a major schedule change, an effective change management strategy was essential.
With a ton of work to be done, it was important that we came up with an implementation plan that managed the game clock efficiently. The positions our players filled at our client’s facilities included:
- Pick and pack
- Shipping and receiving
- Maintenance technicians
- Forklift drivers
The Seamless Implementation Plan
Our client’s implementation followed the Project Management Institute (PMI) playbook. First, a tenured project manager worked with our client to confirm the game plan and agree on the implementation approach. Then, we designed and customized an initial project plan, executed our project governance and developed our change management recommendations.
Over the course of the five-week assignment transition process, including a 30-day notification period and four weeks for worker information sessions and onboarding, the following moves were made:
- We created workforce schedules to onboard 10 to 13 associates every 20 minutes during a set two-week period
- We provided more than 20 onsite colleagues with laptops to quickly process application paperwork for each transitioning worker
- We completed talent mapping to transition more than 400 associates to a new schedule
Over the 12-week implementation period, our client saw the following results:
- Approximately 97% (1,261) of the incumbent workforce was successfully transitioned to Adecco within five weeks
- Two niche suppliers added to the program to cover specialized needs
- From discovery to closeout, there was minimal business disruption during their peak season
Our client was ecstatic about the effectiveness of their new program. It just goes to show that it’s never too late in the game to turn the momentum around in your favor—all it really takes is an MVP.
For more information about how we can transform your staffing program today, contact us here.
The current retail quit rate is nearly twice the rate of other industries, so what can employers do?
Right now, 70% of job openings in retail remain unfulfilled, so employers need to be staying ahead.